Around the Property
Guests at the French Country House will enjoy the serenity of our quiet country location overlooking sunny Tauranga and sea views to Mount Maunganui.
The vast grounds of the luxury lodge show off the best of the countryside so if you prefer, you can lose yourself in the beautiful Bay of Plenty landscape without leaving the property. Ramble through the 40 acre rustic setting of our boutique accommodation. Exploring the grounds you may be lucky enough to see New Zealand natives birds like our famous Tui and at night listen to the Morepork (NZ Owl) while star gazing! Say hello to our donkey Cheyenee – she loves our guests, especially if you take some carrots.
Be as active or as relaxed as you with on your luxury escape.
In the Tauranga and Bay of Plenty Area
The Bay of Plenty was named by the British explorer Captain Cook in the 1700’s for being so lush and green. Today it is just as bountiful and beautiful.
Guests will enjoy a lovely temperate climate and high sunshine hours, perfect for outdoor activities and adventures.
Puketoki bush is a tree lined canopy walk at one of the oldest and most beautiful reserves in the Western Bay of Plenty. Before that time it was milled, so only the old surviving trees would be those not suitable for timber at that time. Tramways for transporting logs can still be seen along the walking tracks.
Te Puna Quarry Park is a beautiful park that has been developed by a dedicated band of volunteers from a disused quarry into a world class park. A place of natural beauty, you will find from the top magical panoramic views overlooking the Bay of Plenty, and gardens of infinite variety as you look down upon them.
If you are looking for a piece of New Zealand paradise, drive to Waihi beach and walk over the hill to Orokawa Bay. Get spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean and Waihi Beach.
Karangahake Gorge is a spectacular walk along the river amongst gold mining history and natural beauty.
A range of activities and events can be found in the Bay to suit all tastes. Experience Bay Explorer boat trip to see our sea life or swim with dolphins, book a fishing charter, walk up the Mount, take a bush walk, visit waterfalls, lakes, thermal springs, glider, scenic flight or go tandem skydiving. Check out our excellent range of cafes and restaurants in the area.
We can arrange:
- Night kayaking and glow worm experience at Waimarino Park
- Boat cruises from Tauranga - highly recommended Bay Explorer to see sea life
- Fishing trips with local fishermen
- White water rafting or kayaking on the famous Kaituna River
- Golf at our local golf club nearby
- Premium cuisine at the Bay's fine restaurants
- Wine tasting at Leveret and Mills Reef Winery only 10 minutes away
- A helicopter flight around the beautiful Bay of Plenty
View some of our packages.
Use the French Country House as a springboard to experience the sights enjoyed by many visitors to the region. A small sample includes:
- Geothermal attractions in Rotorua (1hour minutes) or Taupo (2 hours) with numerous steaming geysers and hot springs and the thundering Huka Falls
- For all the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit fans, visit the amazing "Hobbiton" movie set in Matamata (1 hour)
- Maungatautari Ecological Reserve, a popular spot to experience the New Zealand forest as it was hundreds of years ago (1 hour 30 minutes)
- Historic walks and excellent cafés in and around Waihi town and the impressive canyon of Karangahake Gorge (40 minutes)
- Bike riding tours along the beautiful Karangahake Gorge